Egypt vacation

Discussion in 'Egypt' started by jerryd, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jerryd

jerryd New Member

hi, I'm going to have a 2 week vacation in Egypt either in mid November or in early December and i'll be back home for Christmas. I really don't have any idea on what to see in Egypt during this 2 weeks. I heard that there are many things to see & do in Egypt, is it so? what are all the must see attrations in Egypt? I always like to visit ancient buildings and historical places, so please suggest some ideas on things to in Egypt, looking forward your help soon.

2. Andrew

Andrew Moderator

we had a 14 day Egypt vacation during easter holidays and it was splendid. we have visited Abu Simbel, Egyptian Museum, Giza Pyramids, Karnak Temple, Valley of the Kings plus a lot more. We started at Cairo and visited the Egyptian Museum first. The Royal Mummy Room and the golden treasures of King Tutankhamen are the highlights of our Cairo tour. Giza is located only a few kilometers from Cairo and easily be reached by Taxi, so we headed here next. Visiting the interior of the Giza Pyramids is a great expereince, but try to go during early morning and see the Pyramids in the morning light.Then the next day we started very early and headed to Luxor, one of the most popular archaeological sites in the world and explored the temple of Luxor and the Temple of Karnak. The Karnak temple is located 2.5km north of Luxor and has 3 temples inside.

As well as wonderful attractions, Egypt offers plenty of swimming opportunities. Diving & snorkeling are the most popular Egyptian beach activities. The Abu Simbel Temple will really impress you since you like historical buildings and places. After the Giza pyramids, this great temple of Abu Simbel is the most popular place of ancient Egypt. We all explored the ancient Pyramids and experienced the silent majesty of the desert. Hope you too! Enjoy your Egypt vacation as well as Egypt beaches, have a wgood day!

3. annie2

annie2 New Member

Egypt offers breathetaking attractions and here is my choice of the top most sights of Egypt.

Medieval Cairo
    Abu Simbel
    Luxor and Aswan
    Hurghada
    Khan al-Khalili market
    Karnak Temple
    Siwa Oasis
    The Nile River
    Red Sea Coast

Each city of Egypt has good hotels, entertainment, restaurants and attractions and the above are not be missed :)

4. jerryd

jerryd New Member

thanks so much. got so many places to visit and really excited to visit the Nile river & Siwa Oasis. what is the speciality of Siwa Oasis?

5. dfg34

dfg34 New Member

Siwa Oasis is the most beautiful attraction of Egypt which is located 560 km from Cairo. just 6 months back, I have visited this Siwa Oasis with my family. It's a must see place and everyone should visit when they travel in Egypt. Birket Zeitun & Birket Siwa are the two salt water lakes in the oasis and the Fatnis Island on the Birket Siwa has a circular pool surrounded by palms. It's a beautifyl place and we have enjoyed a lot, hope you too.

6. JohnMcIntosh

JohnMcIntosh New Member

Hi,

There are so many wonderful attractions to visit in Egypt. Here is my choice of the top sights in Egypt. They include: The Pyramids of Giza; Medieval Cairo, Hurghada, Egyptian Museum of Antiquities in Cairo; Cruising the Nile on a Felucca.

But as you say that you are fond of buildings and historical places. The historical places in Egypt are:
    Abu Simbel( Ramesses II, Nefertari Temples)
    Abydos (Abtu)
    Temple of Osiris
    The Osirieon
    Temple of Ramesses II
    Valley of the Kings

I think you will find it useful.

Thanks

7. juhafin

juhafin New Member

Hi, here are top attractions in Cairo and Luxor with descriptions and pictures:

en.lomamatkailija.com/cairo
    en.lomamatkailija.com/luxor

Hope that this information is helpful if someone is going to Cairo or Luxor...

8. Pharaonick

Pharaonick New Member

Must see attractions in Egypt? That's a biggie!

The spine of all tourism in Egypt is the Nile. Most people go from Cairo to Aswan and then up, though you don't have to do it like this. Aswan for Abu Simbel temple, Philae Temple, great bazaar, and chilled felucca rides around the islands. Kom Ombo and Edfu temples, on the way to Luxor. Even better, take a felucca from Aswan all the way to Edfu, though it will be cold at night in the winter. Luxor is incredible: Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Deir al-Medina and Medinat Habu are the highlights in my opinion. Great to do a donkey ride to the VoK, or bike around the west bank. Consider a balloon ride over west bank. Also whilst in Luxor, take the chance to visit Abydos and Dendarra temples - the finest in Egypt.

Cairo: Giza pyramids, Saqqara, Dahshur, Egyptian Museum, Islamic Cairo and Khan al-Khalili, Coptic Cairo, Manyal Palace ... the list is endless! Check out the interactive NileGuide travel website for some more ideas on Cairo.

OK, so then you need to decide whether you want to head to Alexandria (over-rated) and Siwa Oasis (stunning), and/or into the gorgeous White Desert of Baharia and Farafra; or whether you want to head to the Sinai. Sinai is great for diving and snorkelling at the Red Sea resorts (eg Dahab), plus you can head in to the desert and also climb Mount Sinai for a spectacular sunrise.

Lots of the above are possible in two weeks, if you are willing to move quickly. If old stones are your thing, I'd suggest concentrating on the Nile Valley, and also spending a fair amount of time in Cairo. From here you can easily do a short excursion in to the desert, so you at least get a feel for that side of things.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!