Ephesus Turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey' started by travelgeek, Aug 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. travelgeek

travelgeek New Member

hi, I'm very much interested in archeology especially in ruins and I choose my vacation every year to the places that are having ruins. This time I am going to Ephesus maybe this year end and looking for the info. on other surrounding historical sites of Ephesus other than the ruins, is any day tour available to visit all, please suggest if you know any. many thanks for any help!

2. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

I spent 8 hours at Ephesus last week and I only saw about 1/3 of what was available there so if you plan to spend a few days, there may not be lots of time elsewhere if you concentrate on everything Ephesus has to offer.

Be sure to include the Terrance Houses exhibit (under the dome) which is extra.

I spent part of the day in Kusadasi and there was much to see and do there also.

TS

3. travelgeek

travelgeek New Member

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience, can you tell me how far is Kusadasi from Ephesus, what type of public transportation is available between these 2 places?

4. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

I did not take public transportation but an organized tour (transport & tickets pre-purchased) that left from the port area and the trip was about 30-40 minutes if I recall.

My documents show that the approximate taxi fare between Kusadasi and Ephesus is USD $60-70 EACH WAY and entrance fees must be paid in either credit card or LOCAL CURRENCY (Euros, etc. are not accepted.).

5. 67kas

67kas New Member

hi, I have been to Ephesus last year. booked a hotel around Izmir and they picked me from the airport and arranged day tour to Ephesus and nearby places. The ruins of Ephesus is situated approx. 70 kms south of Izmir but well worth a visit for anyone who is having archaeological interest. Our guide took us through the Magnesia Gate and begin a slow, downhill walk into the ruins of this Roman provincial capital. Also I have seen the Celsus Library, the Temple of Hadrian, the Fountain of Trajan and the Great Theater. My trip was very interesting, hope you have too:)).

6. wagsofturkishmen

wagsofturkishmen New Member

I visited Ephasus on an organised trip and there was definitely not enough time to see all of the site. We had a guide that took us around but this also did not give me the chance to stop longer at places I found of particular interest. I am planning to go back this year as an independant traveller so that I can spend all day there. Also I would recommend that you do not go in the really hot months (July and August) as it was too hot to enjoy it really.

7. Marie333

Marie333 New Member

My friends were in Ephasus they hired a car for this time. It also can be a variant for a trip.

8. outlookturkey

outlookturkey New Member

If you go ephesus you must see Sirince which is famaous for its wine, and it is not far away from ephesus