exchanging Chinese money

Discussion in 'China' started by typical-situation2, Nov 29, 2010.

1. typical-situation2

typical-situation2 New Member

has anyone ever exchanged Chinese money before going to China? will it be cheaper to exchange it b4 going to China?

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

Well, the short answer is no. I mean, you can exchange Chinese money on the back streets of Chinatown. At best, you will risk being scammed, at worse, you will be breaking the law so, it's not worth it.

In all honesty, once in China it gets a lot easier to exchange money since in most places the exchange rate offered is usually the official rate, so there’s little point in shopping around. Most major currencies can be exchanged at banks, top-end hotels and some large department stores.

One thing to remember though, when you exchange money, keep the receipt as you’ll need it if you want to change back any spare currency you have left at the end of your trip.

3. synotrip

synotrip New Member

It is convenient to change money in China. Many big hotel accept US dollars too. You can change money at airport also.

4. credittraveller

credittraveller New Member

You can change dollars in the bank of china or any bank but this requires your passport.

What you can do is go to convenience stores. I ran out of Kwai when I stayed ion Beijing and walked into a store and had my $$$ exchanged for Kwai.

That is easy!

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

You can change money at home. Even my local bank in Michigan has a sign on it that it can gt currency for you. I am not sure what the rates are, but you know you're not being scammed for your trips to China.