exchanging money

Discussion in 'Israel' started by BeltionEnzo, Jan 22, 2013.

1. BeltionEnzo

BeltionEnzo New Member

im traveling to Israel for the first time and im wondering about money exchange places in the country? are they all located in Jerusalem and Jaffa? if so, where are they located and which ones offer the best exchange rate? By the way, do you really need a guide to do things in Israel?

2. ContactHuio

ContactHuio New Member

exchanging money in Jerusalem

You'l find exchange places all over Israel and the ones in Jerusalem and Jaffa are clearly marked with a sign in English that says "Change on it", or the signs may have a "currency symbol" or may say "money changer". Whichever it is, you won't have trouble locating them, though I'd avoid using the money exchangers inside Jaffa Gate because their rate of exchange is silly!

3. 12-0

12-0 New Member

I too suggest not to visit the money changers in the Old City unless you are completely desperate because you'll be ripped off quite literary. Regarding the use of a guide..you don't really need one to enjoy yourself in Israel. There lots of things in Israel you can do without a guide like spending a day in Akko, doing the footsteps of Jesus and visit Jerusalem and Tel Aviv for the day. Remember that Israel is small enough that you can do lots;)

4. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

You also can get currency before you arrive. Many of the banks, especially in big cities, will exchange currency for you and not charge a lot for the privilege. And if you have a chance to use a credit card while in Israel, you won't have to worry about the exchange. Of course, I'd never travel without a little local currency. That would be silly to assume you could only use plastic.