female traveler...what to wear in Morocco?

Discussion in 'Morocco' started by ManuelMendez, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ManuelMendez

ManuelMendez New Member

I am traveling with my girlfriend and she's wondering what to wear in Morocco? she'd like to keep in line with traditions there while being practical! many thanks

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

I've been to Morocco a couple of times by myself, so I think I can give you a good idea. I basically took with me a headscarf, 3/4 trousers, a long linen skirt, and a couple of ordinary t-shirts with round neckline.

I found that I was not hassled at all by anyone there when I wore my headscarf and sunglasses – even though I was on my own! As long as your girlfriend doesn't wear anything skimpy or revealing she won't get unwanted attention. Either way, since she's traveling with you, she won't get approached by men!

Another tip before I forget... wear shoes and not flip-flops as there won't be practical in Morocco at all unless you're planning to be by the beach side.

3. leonidas

leonidas New Member

in morocco there is different cultures without problems , muslims are so peaceful there , so you can wear whatever you want as long as it is descent .

4. hehem

hehem New Member

it's kind of basic and well understood that women traveling to any Muslim country should not expose too much flesh. this means you should dress modestly, cover your shoulders and knees, and definitely leave your short skirts at home

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

It's always smart to wear good walking shoes when you have a long day planned away from the beach. I do wish that some Americans would cover up at home too. I get really tired seeing so much puffy exposed flesh. I'm not saying I'm in favor of burkas, but common sense should prevail.

It's smart to bring your own head scarf, but some places will provide them for women if it's really important to them. I'm sure you can find one at a gift shop or market if you don't bring one with you, too.