first time trip on the Bullet Train

Discussion in 'Japan' started by babufriens, Oct 26, 2010.

1. babufriens

babufriens New Member

hey guys, Is the Bullet Train that much different than a conventional western train? can you really tell it's that much faster? Thanks.

2. Danny

Danny Moderator

The Bullet train is definitely different than a normal western train and the ride feels so fast and bumpy that you can hardly stand at times..it's quite fun!

On another note, the Bullet Train is not that much different to, let's say, the ICE train or the TGV, though the Bullet Train runs on dedicated tracks, so it's not sharing the tracks with other trains so it's fast and on time.

For instance, six trains per hour travel between Tokyo and Osaka, which means that you are never really late for a bullet train in Japan, just early for the next one.:)

3. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I found some tips online for traveling by bullet train: Expect the trains to run on time, even one-minute delays will be announced. The stations often have shopping and eateries, where you can grab a meal for the journey. Expect a smooth ride once the train gets going. Travel by train in Japan is a great way to travel.

4. leo360

leo360 New Member

The bullet train is over hyped a bit but it's sure worth getting on it if you have the money. There's no need for reservations but during Japan national holidays like Golden Week, Obon and New Year, you will need to reserve seats on the bullet train 4 days in advance.

5. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

The bullet trains are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. The concept started in 1940, but it took more than two decades of engineering and construction to get them rolling. And they wanted to get them going for the Tokyo Olympics. If you're really geeked about the concept, you can sign up for special tours. PTG Tours, a British company, is offering tours next October celebrating Japanese train travel.

6. salvio

salvio New Member

Bullet trains are completely different from the Metro trains.

7. Plaffert

Plaffert New Member

I've been fascinated by Japan's technology and I wonder how it feels riding a bullet train.