Five top-rated countries for hostel accommodations

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by Vicolette, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

According to Hostel International, their top five list for 2011 based on customer satisfaction is as follows:

Best: Lerwick Hostel Scotland
    Friendliest: Marthas Vineyard
    Most Comfortable: Utano Youth Hostel Kyoto
    Most Efficient: HI Baan Dinso Bangkok
    Best Country: South Africa

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

That's a really interesting list. I wonder what you need to make a good hostel? Do they have anything special or do they just do things well. I was surprised that South Africa made the list of the best country. I would have expected Switzerland or Japan.

3. heysee

heysee New Member

all hostels must be...

yep, that's a shocker! not that I dont think South Africa wouldn't cut it, though I think whoever came up with the list wanted to showcase other areas of the world. In any case, for me a what makes a nice hostel (regardless of its location in the world) is whether it's clean, safe, and cheap.

4. Vicolette

According to the HI website, hostels are chosen by customer ratings and can only win one category each year. The HI Baan Dinso hostel rated as best hostel in 2009 and 2010. Of the 35 hostels in SA, the comments were the country offers a wide range of activities. South Africa is one country I'd like to visit to take in the beaches, a safari, travel the Garden route, hike a mountain trail, stay in a lodge at Kruger National Park, and definitely sample the wine from the many vineyards.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I was talking to someone who leads tours to South Africa the other day, and she said that South Africa is wonderful for wine tours. It's not as well known for its wine country, but it was plenty of wineries in the South African Winelands that welcome visitors to come in for tastings and tours.

6. Vicolette

My top three things to do in South Africa would be travelling on the Blue Train followed by a photo safari and visiting Stellenbosch and Franschhoek for the vineyards. Scenery isn't too bad, either!