Food in Sweden

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by dronez, Jun 28, 2007.

1. dronez

dronez New Member

Hi, I'm heading to Sweden in Late September for a weekend, and wondering where I should stay and eat. How about Food in Sweden? I am a strict vegetarian and like to try some special typical vegetarian Swedish food. So can anyone suggest me some top class restaurants offer vegetarian food. One of my friends told me that the Swedish meatball without any meat is very delicious. I would like to try that also? Any advice on Food in Sweden and anything you suggest would be so appreciated. Thank you.

2. willmauer

willmauer New Member

Hi,

I just got back from Sweden. Though I'm not a vegetarian, I can assure you it shouldn't be too hard for you to find food to eat. I was in Stockholm and everyone there seems so fit and healthy! I remember reading about Lao Wai (website: laowai.se). It's Chinese food, if that interests you. There was an article on it in a local weekly and it got raves.

Of course, I don't know if you like Chinese and I don't know if you're gonna be in Stockholm. But don't worry, Sweden wasn't hurting for healthy veg/vegan eateries. The one thing you might want to worry about is the price...seems a lot of the stuff/food in that country is expensivvvvvvve.

3. Sven

Sven New Member

There are seveal great vegetarians in Stockholm, but most of them have foreign food. Typical swedish food normally contains meat or fish.

A nice swedish dish is Raggmunk which is a potato pancake. It is normally served with lingonberries and bacon but you can of course ask the waitress to skip the bacon. Restaurant Grodan at Grev Ture-gatan has a nice Raggmunk for 112 kr.

4. Sven

Sven New Member

I almost forgot a real swedish specialty that I think you can get in a vegetarian version - Kroppkakor. It's a ball of wheat flour and potatoes, filled with onion and spices. Make sure to ask for a veggie version - otherwise you will get pork in it. Try them out at restaurant Prinsen somewhere around Stureplan, unfortunatelyI don't remember the street name.

5. joe

joe Guest

Good advice, Sven. Are you from Sweden?

6. butterflydog

butterflydog New Member

i had some swedish meatballs with tofu on my last stockholm trip. i can't rember the swedish name but all waiters speak english in sweden and you'll find vegetarian food on every menu there!

7. georgex

georgex New Member

hi friends, I heard the smorgasbord is very famous in sweden? what is it?