Foodseum in Chicago

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by danebowers, Sep 24, 2015.

1. danebowers

danebowers New Member

Foodseum has recently opened (in Chicago) its first exhibition, which is called “The Hot Dog and Encased Meat of the World. This exhibit will run until Dec. 20 and teaches people about the history of hot dogs and how they are made. Foodseum is open Wednesday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

2. reigning

reigning New Member

Admission is free...pity I won't be in Chicago. It would be nice to smell the spices that go into the different sausages and sample them too.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

When I was a kid, the Museum of Science and Industry had a big food exhibit...and even had baby chicks in an incubator. I'm not sure I ever put two and two together as to why they had chickens in a food exhibit, but that was probably for the best. Anyway, glad to see that the Foodseum is taking up this mantle. If you are in Chicago, you do have to taste a hot dog (if you're able to eat meat). They're usually 100% beef, so if you don't eat pork, that will work for you. They're on a poppy seeded bun with bright green relish, mustard, and peppers...tomatoes, too, I think. But NEVER ketchup! And oftentimes they're rolled up in wax paper with fries. Yum yum! Any place will work, the smaller and rattier the better.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. joyne

joyne New Member

This museum is great! I love it a lot!! Chicago is a great city anyways! I could totally imagine living there! Wicker Park is very nice for thrift shopping! Down Town and its museums are great especially there are days where it's free to get in for Chicago people!

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Chicago is so lovely this time of year, especially with its blue skies over Lake Michigan. I love late summer and early fall along Lake Michigan. Wicker Park is a great neighborhood to walk and shop. I couldn't agree more @joyne!

The Foodseum and many of the Chicago museums are free to visit anytime. Here's a list:

• CHICAGO CULTURAL CENTER (77 E. RANDOLPH STREET)
    • CAMBODIAN AMERICAN HERITAGE MUSEUM (2831 W. LAWRENCE AVENUE)
    • CHICAGO ARCHITECTURE FOUNDATION PROGRAMS (224 S. MICHIGAN AVENUE)
    • CHICAGO GREETER NEIGHBORHOOD TOURS (VARIOUS LOCATIONS)
    • CHICAGO PARKS & BEACHES (VARIOUS LOCATIONS)
    • LAKEFRONT TRAIL (5800 N. SHERIDAN ROAD TO 7100 S. SOUTH SHORE DRIVE)
    • CHICAGO DESIGN MUSEUM (3RD FLOOR, 108 N. STATE STREET)
    • POETRY FOUNDATION (61 W. SUPERIOR STREET)
    • NATIONAL MUSEUM OF PUERTO RICAN ARTS & CULTURE (3015 W. DIVISION STREET)
    • CITY GALLERY AT THE HISTORIC WATER TOWER (806 N. MICHIGAN AVENUE)
    • GARFIELD PARK CONSERVATORY (300 N. CENTRAL PARK AVENUE)
    • HYDE PARK ART CENTER (5020 S. CORNELL AVENUE)
    • JANE ADDAMS HULL-HOUSE MUSEUM (800 S. HALSTED STREET)
    • LINCOLN PARK CONSERVATORY (2391 N. STOCKTON DRIVE)
    • LINCOLN PARK ZOO (2200 N. CANNON DRIVE)
    • MAGGIE DALEY PARK (337 E. RANDOLPH STREET)
    • MILLENNIUM PARK (201 E. RANDOLPH STREET)
    • MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY PHOTOGRAPHY (600 S. MICHIGAN AVENUE)
    • NATIONAL MUSEUM OF MEXICAN ART (1852 W. 19TH STREET)
    • NAVY PIER (600 E. GRAND AVENUE)
    • THE 606 ELEVATED PARK TRAIL (BLOOMINGDALE AVENUE FROM ASHLAND TO RIDGEWAY)
    • THE NEWBERRY LIBRARY (60 W. WALTON STREET)
    • THE ORIENTAL INSTITUTE MUSEUM (1155 E. 59TH STREET)
    • THE RENAISSANCE SOCIETY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO (5811 S. ELLIS AVENUE)
    • SMART MUSEUM OF ART (5550 S. GREENWOOD AVENUE)

6. Destinee Hobbs

Destinee Hobbs New Member

Definitely agree with @joyne , Chicago is a great city! My husband is thinking of relocating there when we visited some relatives in Illinois, he love the city a lot.