French facts

Discussion in 'France' started by anywayfuti, Nov 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. anywayfuti

anywayfuti New Member

French is the most widely spoken language in the world, right? if so, what countries speak it? please share other interesting French facts if you know any..:)

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

I thought English or Spanish were the most widely spoken language in the world. I checked out some French facts and it turns out that French is the most popular second language learnt in the world.

As far as French speaking countries, you have Quebec and other parts of Canada and African countries like Congo, Sierra Leone and Cote d'ivore. Either, way, French is certainly one of the most important languages to learn out there, though English is definitely king no matter where you go in the world.

3. Serenati

Serenati New Member

Other French speaking speaking countries include Senegal, Switzerland and Belgium.

4. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

There's also some French speakers in Vietnam, a legacy of the colonial rule a century ago.

I've worked with some people in Quebec that don't speak any English and that always surprises me for North America.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Also, French is the official language of the United Nations and one of the official languages of Canada.

Nearly 85 million people visit France every year.

6. dr.flippa

dr.flippa New Member

cool French facts

Once interesting fact most people don't know is that France has an estimated population of 60 million, making it the 19th largest country (in terms of population) in the world. Also, France has the most extensive railway system in Western Europe with high speed trains (Eurostar) traveling at up to 320 km/h (200mph).