Galway nightlife

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by dght34, Sep 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dght34

dght34 New Member

hi , I will arrive to Galway by next weekend and staying 2 nights and looking for pubs and nightclubs in Galway. how about the night life in Galway, visited Dublin 2 times but not Galway, this is my first trip. so anyone share your experience if you have any or suggest some good things to do and hotels in Galway as well. thanks for any help.

2. Lynnie81

Lynnie81 Moderator

I havent been to Galway myself but i have many friends who have. It seems Galway is becoming more and more popular, especially for its nightlife. I know many groups having travelled to Galway for stag nights.

I know that if you are lookinf for a pub with live music you can go to Monroes and the Kings Head. I had a look at a website and found a list of over 70 bars and clubs so i really dont think you will have a problem finding somewhere.

3. janek

janek New Member

Is Galway also near any interesting historical sites or is it just good for the nightlife?
    I am planning a trip for summer 2010 and I Cannot decide where exactly to go.

4. Andrew

Andrew Moderator

hi janek, Galway is very much known for its beautiful historic sites and you can visit from the famous Salmon Weir Bridge to Galway City Museum. The Eyre Square, Portumna Castle, Galway Atlantaquaria, Galway Cathedral, Irish Crystal Heritage Centre, Lynch’s Castle and Nora Barnacle House Museum are some of the popular historical attractions of Galway.The Portumna Castle is one of the popular attractions and it's opened from March to October daily between 10am and 6pm. You can take a tour of the castle and visit the interior, gardens and the ruins of a Dominican Friary. There is a small exhibition too which tells you about the story of the castle. This Portumna Castle is surrounded by Lough Derg and the Forest Park. So you can explore them as well.

5. DilbertPart2

DilbertPart2 New Member

To the east of Lough Corrib and Galway city in the West of Ireland, lies one of the most unspoilt destinations in the country. Galway East is a region rich in heritage and culture, offering scenery that is in subtle contrast to the ruggedness of Connemara. East Galway has monuments spanning all periods of Ireland’s history. The Iron Age Turoe Stone and the early monastic site of Kilmacduagh with its leaning tower, date back to ancient times.
    The medieval castle at Athenry and the fine 17th century castle at Portumna, tell of past eras in East Galway. Relics of the more recent history can be found at Thoor Ballylee, the home of Nobel Prize-winning Poet, William Butler Yeats. Coole Park, in nearby Gort, was the seat of the Celtic Literary revival at the end of the last century. Ecclesiastical treasures abound in an area which boasts many ruined abbeys.
    The cathedrals of Tuam, the Irish Romanesque doorway of Clonfert Cathedral, and Loughrea Cathedral, which is a masterpiece in 20th century craftsmanship, each reflect the ecclesiastical heritage of this region.