GBAO(Pamir permit) Visa

Discussion in 'Tajikistan' started by lowtide, May 24, 2013.

1. lowtide

lowtide New Member

For those of you who are planning to visit Tajikistan, you need to know that you can't get a GBAO permit at the airport upon arrival. You will have to apply for it later at the government office, which will cost you around $6 if you do it yourself, or $11 if you do it with a travel agent. It's a no brainier really...let the travel agent do it for you and avoid the headache of waiting in line when arriving in Tajikistan.

2. walterscott

walterscott New Member

Next time, I'd probably go with an agent since when I got my visa at Bishkek Taj embassy, it took me 2 hours. I'd also point out that you will have to get a LOI (letter of intent), visa, registration and the GBAO permit. if you need a LOI, Tajikintourservice charges $30, Stan Tours charges $40 and Great Game Travel charges $65.

3. pou723

pou723 New Member

Be sure to allow at least two weeks in Tajikistan so you can get deep into the back country of the Pamir Mountains and visit places like Dushanbe and Khorog, Jelondi Hot Springs (80 miles from Khorog), Batchor Gund Valley, Yashikul Lake Dam and Wakhan Corridor, which on a clear day you can see all the way to China and Pakistan.

4. henrix

henrix New Member

Just to clarify, there's the regular tourist visa, which is required for travel to Tajikistan. Then, there's the special permit, which is required for travel to the border areas like the Pamirs (Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Oblast), Lake Sarez, etc.

5. qarimow

qarimow New Member

Last I heard, you can only get a tourist visa for Tajikistan with a visa support/invitation letter from a Tajik tour operator. You can get a "Private visa" but it's not worth it because it's more expensive and it does not exempt you from the OVIR registration, which is required if you're going to stay in Tajikistan longer than 30 days.