Gemstone shopping?

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by wanderer, Aug 4, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I've purchased plenty of (cheap) gemstones online that have come from Thailand. My favorite is an orange garnet. Anyway, I was wondering what it was like to shop for gems in the real place. Are there regular jewelry shops? What is the shopping scene like there? Have you purchased any gemstones in Thailand?

2. stillbslling

stillbslling New Member

watch out for touts

shopping for gems in Thailand or Asia isn't as easy as some people think. You can easily get conned and in fact many greedy tourists get scammed because they believe they can buy gemstones at discounted price from a jewelry shop in Thailand and then bringing them back home to sell at a profit.

My advice is not to lsiten to any touts or anyone who says they can get you gemstones at half price. Like they saying goes...If it's too good to be true, it probably is!

3. nokidsallowed

nokidsallowed New Member

shopping tips

i personally don't buy gemstones or expensive jewelry online, let alone thru a dodgy dealer. Tbh, the best thing you can do in Thailand is to check jewellery prices at different stores before making a purchase Also, remember to bargain, noone in Thailand pays full price for anything so you gotta bargain my friend;)

4. udontget4

udontget4 New Member

shopping in thailand

if you want to find the real thing is best you stick to shopping malls like MBK, Siam Paragon and CentralWorld. Markets are great for bargains so you can expect to find lots of fake goods like gemstones, jewelry, etc.

5. everybodyfee

everybodyfee New Member

buy from official shops

not just in Thailand. If you want to buy precious metals anywhere in the world you need to buy them from a reputable store. In Thailand, you need to preferably look for stores or shops that are certified by the government. Also, it isn't a good idea to buy from touristy places like the the Gems Gallery in Chiang Mai. You can almost guarantee you'll be ripped-off because you're s tourist.

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

This is good advice. If you just want some pretty stones and you want to shell out a few dollars, you'll be happy. If you're talking about real money, you want to be really careful. But you probably already know that!