German Karneval 2012

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Vicolette, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Karneval celebrations are scheduled for February 20 through February 22 this year and once again, the streets will be filled with parades, music, and entertainment. Elaborate costume balls will be the place to be to show off your creativity. If your business or vacation plans take you to Germany, several cities to consider while visiting where the traditional carnival festivities will be celebrated include Mainz, Dusseldorf, Munster, and Cologne.

2. Xmas1920

Xmas1920 New Member

carnival season in Germany

im curious about carnival season in Germany...I believe they have something called Fasching and Karneval, are they the same thing? if not, what is the difference..anyone knows?

3. eventHOR

eventHOR New Member

words used in German

Fasching and Karneval are not really the same thing! It's like in the States there are two main words used in German for Carnival or Mardi Gras, which is the pre-Lenten celebration that ends on Ash Wednesday . Also, Fasching is a Germanic word, while Karneval is a Latin word.

4. kalpana_seo

kalpana_seo New Member

The carnival season in Germany is also called the "Fifth Season"

5. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

So how did carnival season go this year? Does anyone know the dates for next year?

6. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I found a calendar showing February 12, 2013 for next year. In 2014, March 4 and in 2015, February 17 marks the beginning of the celebrations.

7. MarkJFagan

MarkJFagan New Member

Hearing the show calendar of showing February 12, 2013 for next year. In 2014, March 4 and in 2015, February 17 marks the beginning of the celebrations I have a new cruricity to have some photos of last show held in 2012.

8. MarkJFagan

MarkJFagan New Member

Hearing this I like to have some photos of 2011's show. If possible please share me a link to see those videos too.