Germany taverns and restaurants

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Vicolette, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Any suggestions on choosing the most historic taverns and restaurants off the beaten track when traveling in Germany especially Stuttgart and Berlin? Looking for the kind of places locals go to. Any suggestions?

2. AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace New Member

the Schlenkerla tavern in Bamberg is easily one of the best taverns you can visit in Germany. This place has wooden beams and tons of historic engravings of Bamberg, like the "World Chronicle of Schedel" from the year 1493. As far as I know, the Schlenkerla tavern was built sometime in the early 1400's so that gives you some sense of how historic this place is.

3. LordoftheMings

LordoftheMings New Member

There are tons of taverns, breweries and restaurants to visit in Germany everywhere you go. Summer is really a great time to visit Germany because of the outdoor beer gardens. One place you want to go is the Hofbrauhaus (aka court brewhouse) in Munich, which is the oldest and most famous beer hall in all of Germany.

4. leadko1

leadko1 New Member

Munich is no doubt the place to start and discover historic taverns, breweries, etc. Just take a walk around the Marienplatz and the old part of Munich and stop at the famous Hofbrauhaus for a beer. Then, I would say to go to the village of Aying to tour the famous Ayinger Brewery, which makes some of the best beers in the world.

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Each sounds like the type of place I'd like to visit for an authentic brew house experience. The Ayling tour would be interesting. Back in the day when Busch Gardens first opened, we could tour the brewery. It was amazing. I can still remember the aroma of the hops.