going on a cruise while pregnant

Discussion in 'Cruises' started by Voulong-Tran, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Voulong-Tran

Voulong-Tran New Member

We will all be going on a family cruise in October...I ws wondering what do Dr's recommend about going on a cruise while pregnant?

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

As far as I know, most cruise lines don't allow pregnant women to sail half way through their pregnancy as it is a health and safety issue.

To give you an idea, if you're sailing with Carnival or Royal Caribbean, for example, a mom-to-be must be no more than 23 weeks along at any time during the cruise, so check with the cruise line before booking. (if you haven't booked the cruise yet that is!)

I'd also suggest you carry a letter from your healthcare provider or GP stating your due date, your fitness for travel, any medical conditions, and any medications you're taking. That way you can avoid unpleasant surprises at the boarding dock.

3. bumblebeee

bumblebeee New Member

dont cruise while pregnant

dont think it's a good idea to go on a cruise while pregnant...dont know about other posters but I went on a cruise when I was about 4 months pregnant. I was sick and I did miss dinner the first nights due to feeling and being severly sick. On the third night another pregnant passenger gave me some ginger pills which really helped. I also tended to take naps in the afternoons and it helped being on the balcony and up on deck where I could feel the breeze.

4. fburns

fburns New Member

Ok I am neither a doctor nor a mother,so I cant really give an expert advice but i dont recommend you to go on a cruise in this condition,as you could be very sick!is it your first time on a cruise?then dont go!

5. Mr.joha

Mr.joha New Member

pregnant women going on cruises

I agree with the last posters that you should postpone your cruise after your pregnancy, or do the cruise in the first weeks of pregnancy. I am a doctor and my main concern for pregnant women going on cruises are cruise ship bugs...also, cruise-lines dont let women on board if they're past 24 weeks..if so, you'll need to get a doctor's note saying you are in good health.