going on an African safari

Discussion in 'Botswana' started by dunkans, Feb 23, 2011.

1. dunkans

dunkans New Member

I am planning a first time African safari with my wife and we're unsure where exactly to go in the continent..where would you advise is best for an African safari? how much does an African safari cost?

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

Traditionally places such as South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Kenya and Tanzania are the most popular for enjoying an African Safari, though there are many more places in Africa where you can also go.

Having said this, I'd advice sticking to either South Africa or Kenya as they have the better tourist amenities such as hotels, safari accommodations, and transportation.

IT's hard to give an estimate on how much your African safari will cost since it comes down to the African safari or African holidays operator you go with. One thing I can tell you is that the “low season" for African safaris are generally November through June, so prices will be cheaper.

3. AcaciaWildBunch

AcaciaWildBunch New Member

You might also want to consider overlanding as that's a great budget way to see Africa and you can cover a lot more of the continent -

4. noHope8

noHope8 New Member

African safari tips

1. Take the early morning drives on safari to improve your chances of seeing wildlife
    2. carry a good pair of good quality binoculars
    3. Wear insect repellent to keep mosquitoes at bay.
    4. Book an African safari during the dry season for a more successful time at spotting game

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

What good advice! As for prices, it really depends on your package. If you haven't been on safari before, it might help to get an all-inclusive package that includes everything like airfare, meals, and overnights. It can take a lot of the guesswork out of things.

6. hasan29

hasan29 New Member

I have visited a couple of places in Africa and I think that the best country I have toured so far has to be Morocco. The deserts are spectacular, the mountains are breath-taking, the beaches are really comfortable and perfect to surf in, the people are so hospitable and the entertainment is really exciting. The pavements and houses are very colourful which gives Morocco a happy atmosphere unlike they grey, dull atmosphere of New York. Everyone must visit this magnificent land atleast once in their lives.

7. discount10%

discount10% New Member

Mobile safaris are best

with an African safari you can stay in a luxury lodge, or book a mobile safari, which is what I did. the Mobile safari worked out cheaper than any other organized tour safari we could find in Africa. Of course, it won;t be for everyone's taste because it involves camping on the move, and you will most likely travel in a group with other travelers.

8. neutered"£

neutered"£ New Member

self-driving in a game park

mobile safaris are great, but nothing beats self-driving in a game park. If you pick a public game park and rent a car you tour the African bush on your own! The roads will be paved and signposted so you won't have to worry about getting lost in the plains of Africa or becoming food for a hungry lion (lol)

9. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That's really good advice! It would be a treat to explore on your...provided you're not a treat for the lions. ;)

10. ohnogoon

ohnogoon New Member

listen to the safari guide

talking about being a "treat" for lions...Im baffled how many tourists take safari safety so loosely and not realizing that wild animals are just that! A safari is generally a very safe and rewarding experience, but people need to take precautions and follow the instructions of their guides.

11. noHope8

noHope8 New Member

safety on African safari

hey ohnogoon, you make a good point on reminding people the dangers of safaris. You can never be too careful and you'll be a fool not to listen to your guide. Definitely stay in the van, truck or four-wheel-drive, and keep your voice down because animals scare easily and are less predictable when startled.