going to New Orleans for the first time

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by historyY, Jan 20, 2011.

1. historyY

historyY New Member

Me and a few girlfriends want to go to New Orleans for the first time in March. I want to know fun places to visit, best restaurants, shops, cool landmarks, and just about anything that is interesting for 20 something people! any ideas?

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

There are lots of attractions in New Orleans like Jackson Square, St Louis Cathedral, Audubon Zoo, Aquarium, Audubon Insectarium and plantation homes.

Many of these plantation homes are open to visitors such as Madewood Plantation, Nottoway Plantation, Beauregard House at Chalmette Battlefield and Destrehan & Ormond Plantations.

If you guys want to check out some museums there are a few like the Museum-Historic New Orleans Collection, Ogden, Dday, the cabildo, Confederate Museum, US Mint, Conti Wax Museum, and Historic New Orleans Collection

The night scene in New Orleans is great also. I recommend going to the music clubs on Frenchmen St. Also, Preservation Hall has good jazz but they don't serve alcohol!

3. bmd

bmd Guest

New Orleans, though it's not so much of a large city as Chicago or New York, it's in a class, really, that belongs only to New Orleans. There's a certain charm about it that keeps bringing you back over and over again. Anyway, I love it, and I think you will, too. Certainly, during the day, I'd check out a variety of different places, like the Audubon Zoo and Aquarium, Jackson Square, take coffee at Cafe Du Monde, browse through the French Market, and take a stroll along the river. One of my favorite things is to ride the St. Charles Streetcar; it's a deliciously relaxing ride that takes from half an hour to an hour, depending on how busy the car is at that time. Usually, I stay right at the end of the line and take the car all the way to the French Quarter everyday. At night, the usual place is Bourbon Street. It's always a very happening place, and sometimes, you can catch a street show. I always try to bring some loose dollars to support them. Another one of my favorite places to grab a bite, any time of day, is Cafe Beignet, mostly because of the refreshing outdoor seating area and the live music by Steamboat Willie in the evenings. I hope you enjoy your first visit!!

4. yumakan2

yumakan2 New Member

New Orleans for newbies

I suggest going to the WWII museum and also squeeze in a visit to the Napoleon House on Chartres and St. Louis if you love your history. As far as places to eat, I highly recommend doing a food tour with "no culinary tours"...you'll get a sampling of many NOLA favorites, get a tour of Arnaud's and Antoine's, and also a free gelato!

5. looproadA4

looproadA4 New Member

first time in New Orleans

Some attractions you have to check out are: Jackson Square, St Louis Cathedral, Audubon Zoo, Audubon Insectarium, Royal St. Antiques, Magazine Street Shopping and Julia St Art Galleries. As far as entertainment, Frenchman street has a lot of music clubs like snug Harbour, DBA, and Tipitinas which has cajun dancing every sunday night as long as there is no special events going on.

6. MaryB504

MaryB504 New Member

You should check out Creole PubCrawl. It's perfect for big groups of friends. The knowledgeable and fun tour guides will show you around the hidden treasure that is the Arts & Warehouse district, referred to as the "SoHo of the South", which is just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the famous French Quarter. You can either go on a historic crawl or a party crawl. They do the crawls at 2:30pm and 5:30pm every Monday through Saturday.

7. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I would head out of town a half hour or so...and you can find a lot of cool places to explore (once you've one what everyone else has suggested. That's all cool). There are swamp tours, plantation houses to explore, some great Creole food/music, and more cool places. If you're into birdwatching, you'll be in heaven.

8. jennychavez

jennychavez New Member

Dont miss the street cars in New Orleans. It's a great way to see the city and you could easily spend a day hopping on and off the streetcar to visit shopping centers, restaurants and other attractions.

9. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

New Orleans is a hoot...and it's fun with friends along with you. I'm not a late night person, so I tend to gravitate to Jackson Square during the day. There's a bunch of new sculptures to see around town, including at the New Orleans Art Museum.