Going to Panama & Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Panama' started by kidsiie, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kidsiie

kidsiie New Member

I'd like to go to Panama and Costa Rica this year, and I'd like some idea on hotels prices and costs overall in Costa Rica and things to do. Also, can you tell me how to get from Panama to Costa Rica?

2. Danny

Danny Moderator

It's a lot to answer in just one question, and you haven't specified what you enjoy doing, but I'll try anyway.

Costa Rica is a great place to travel, especially San Jose which is the most touristy city. Accommodation in Costa Rica vary from dirt cheap to very expensive but paying anything between $50-75 per night is typically very good.

As a whole, there is a very large tourist industry in Costa Rica, with lots of hotels, lots of attractions, lots of places to visit like Arenal and Monteverde which I think are over rated.

Regarding Panama, you can get to Panama from the west coast via Paseo Canoas and enter into David. Then head to Boquette or El Valle Panama.

3. Sanblasman

Sanblasman New Member

Most people travel from Panama to Costa Rica by bus either Tica, Expresso, I think the other is Panaline. They charge $35 from Panama City to San Jose which is pretty good for a 15hr ride. The buses are safe have AC and movies and reclining seats as good as it gets in this part of the world. If you want to be a little more adventurous you could head to the north coast and cross at a little border bridge crossing sixaola near changuinola. Then jump on another bus the other side to either a beach town or San Jose.

Be aware Costa Rica is generally more expensive than Panama, tourism has driven up the prices of food and drink especially to almost double that of Panama. There is a trend now for many budget travellers to bypass Costa Rica alltogether, which is a shame as it still has so much to offer the budget wanderers.