going to Tanzania and South Africa

Discussion in 'Tanzania' started by Df.Tommi, May 3, 2011.

1. Df.Tommi

Df.Tommi New Member

Hi everyone

I am planning on spending a month in Tanzania, then a month in South Africa, so I need to make my way down from Tanzania to Cape Town. is this trip expensive by plane or what other options do i have?

Any up to date advice would be great!

Thanks,

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

I've looked at flights from Tanzania to Johannesburg, and I can tell you that these flights are pretty expensive from what I've seen (around £500), other than the flights from Johannesburg to Cape Town which aren't so bad.

You can also take the Tazara train from Tanzania to Kapiri Mposhi (Zambia), then bus it to Lusaka. From Lusaka you can go onto Livingstone/Vic Falls or even bus it straight to South Africa, which is definitely feasible.

3. AmaniTours

AmaniTours New Member

You can try overland by private 4x4 cars or Train where you will take the Tazara train from Tanzania to Kapiri Mposhi (Zambia), then bus it to Lusaka. From Lusaka you can go onto Livingstone/Vic Falls or even bus it straight to South Africa, which is definitely feasibl

4. feritale

feritale New Member

Tanzania to Jo'burg by bus

Busing it is a good and cheap option and a great way to see wildlife and meet locals. From Mbeya (Tanzania) catch a bus to Mzuzu, which is the main transport hub in Malawi. From Mzuzu, catch another bus to Lilongwe, and from there another bus to either Zambian city of Chipata, Lusaka or Livingstone. Then, you can either cross into the Botswanan cities of Kasane or Gabarone by hitchhiking. Then, from either Kasane or Gabarone to Jo’Burg. Hope that helps!

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

It looks like ticket prices are even more expensive now for the trip. I saw tickets over $1,000 when I just searched. It's about 2,200 miles of driving...and I'm not sure how the roads are between the do. It does take a long time to drive that far, so the train might be your best option.

6. Audrey Legros

Audrey Legros New Member

I haven't travelled that route, but as far as I know, Zimbabwe is probably the least safe and the most expensive country in that area. Maybe a better route would be Malawi-Zambia-Botswana/Namibia. Or Malawi-Mozambique.