Good places to stay in Paris

Discussion in 'France' started by Molly Q, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Molly Q

Molly Q Guest

I was recently in Frankfurt and wanted to get to Paris but because of short notice and running out of funds, I couldn't make it. I am planning to go back in the Fall and stay for about 10 days. I'm not looking to stay in a hostel, but rather really get a feel for the city and a particular neighborhood. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. world trecker

world trecker New Member

Hey Molly,

I've only stayed in hostels the two times I've been to paris, and both experiences left something to be desired, so i endorse your decision to avoid them. A couple friends of mine stayed at the Hotel Britannique and LOVED it. Here's their site:

Link

They said it was pretty much right smack dab in the middle of the city but that it was also surprisingly quiet. Granted they only stayed 2 or 3 nights. 10 days is a long time to stay in one hotel, but hopefully this is a start!

3. Molly Q

Molly Q Guest

Great! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll def check it out!

4. semiartist

semiartist Guest

Hi,

Well hostels aren't so bad. But you should go to the recommended places listed in the travel guides like Fodors.

Also there is another economical option that a lot of backpackers are getting into more and more. It's called "couchsurfing".

This is a community linking backpackers with hosts, people that will share their home to travelers, and in most cases also guide their guests through the local sites and flavors of the city.

The trust system for these exchanges is very successful, as on the site, they list feedback from other travelers, and allow you to view profiles of each host or traveler.

In my experience, I have hosted and had been hosted by several people. The experience is worthwhile, because you DO get the insight of the places via the eyes of the people who live there. And these communities do encourage friendships to grow out of these exchanges.

Feel free to check out these two popular sites. I'm sure you will be impressed by how many people are doing it:

http://www.couchsurfing.com

This site seems to be very popular for Americans traveling abroad. Consider this like friendster for the traveler... but friendlier :)

http://www.hospitalityclub.org

This one is very very popular for European travelers. The interface is not as fun as couchsurfing, but if you are looking to making connections with more foreign travelers, this is the site to register with. I believe the membership is much higher than couchsurfing.

Well good luck in your travels.

Melissa in Paris

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  5. joe

joe Guest

There's some good help right there, semiartist. I can definitely see the appeal in something like "couch surfing," as long as the trust issue is intact. Sounds like a great way to really experience a destination rather than running around blindly with a travel guide and a map (though that can be fun in its own way).

6. Mallery

Mallery New Member

I love to stay in the Latin Quarter -- very french, small, narrow, pedestrian streets, near many sights and metro.

7. GFluz

GFluz New Member

I heard that the HI hostels are good but i cant remember which quarter it is in

8. rimu1

rimu1 New Member

I stayed Oct/Nov in a great place in the Marais area, 4e district I think. It is really close to the metro St paul, has great cheap eating and tratteries nearby a real neighbourhood and feels quite safe, as much as any city, at night too.
    Hotel Sevigne
    2, rue Malher
    75004 Paris
    Ph 01 42 72 76 17
    they have a web site too but as a newbie I can't post the link just search the hotel name and you will find it.

9. taramcdonald

taramcdonald New Member

Montmartre - beautiful, walking distance from the centre and buzzing squares full of artistes, near the Sacre Coeur - the place to view Paris from at night (unless you're on the Eiffel Tower, that is).

10. FlatHuchette

FlatHuchette New Member

Hi, my wife and I work as humanitarian aid workers in Afghanistan. We just bought an apartment in the Latin quarter (rue de la Huchette) and a designer beautifuly redone part of the apartment. It is gorgeous. An agency manages the rental for tourists but if you want, we can discuss directly. Have a look at our mini website where you'll see the flat and have lots of details.
    Cheers
    Sebastien

11. sassylady

sassylady New Member

Hey there! Paris is the only place in Europe I have visited so far and I stayed at the Hôtel Fouquet's Barrière, it a few feet away from Champ Elysees and since Paris is a walkable place, the small cafes will give you that feeling of closeness.

12. helloworldbea

helloworldbea New Member

I agree, Hôtel Fouquet's Barrière is a great place.

13. Tre4

Tre4 New Member

I love the Latin Quarter - you are right in the shadow of Notre Dame and alongside the Seine. Lots of cheap but good hotels and fantastic eateries