Great Barrier Reef expeditions

Discussion in 'Cruises' started by MedalOFHonor, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MedalOFHonor

MedalOFHonor New Member

how long do most people spend on the Great Barrier Reef? do we have to spend days on a Great Barrier Reef cruise, or are quick excursions available from cruise companies?

any cruise companies worth looking into?

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

Yes, most people choose to spend several days on a Great Barrier Reef cruise, though a quick excursion of the Great Barrier Reef will be just enough, especially if you have planned other things to do.

Also, you will find that many tour companies offer short-term excursions, including sightseeing sails and off-shore diving support, so you have plenty of options.

Coral Princess is one of the most popular tour companies for tours of the Great Barrier Reef, and they offer overnight cruises of three, four, or seven nights.

3. The Travel Slut

The Travel Slut 6 continents, 87 countries & 64 cruises so far

I can vouch for Coral Princess and did 4 nights on them and LOVED IT. Great crew, laid back, educational, awesome food, and I'd do it (and will do it) again....

4. RashmiKamani

RashmiKamani New Member

Our trip to the Great Barrier Reef has been a very memorable one for me and my family.
    We did the cruise to Green Island the first day and had a full day of a great cruise, snorkeling, glass bottom boat tour, semi-submarine tour, and a good buffet lunch. We had an amazing experience. The next day we took the train to Kuranda rain forest and spent the day watching aboriginal dancing and spear throwing, and had some boomerang throwing lessons. We also got a land and water tour of the rain forest and left on the skyrail.

5. jacinthemilton

jacinthemilton New Member

Yes that's right, you should spend some several days with the cruise ship when you are in the Great Barrier Reef. But for me 2-3 days is good because sooner you'll get bored.

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Is there anything to do on these cruises if you don't dive or snorkel? I think it's pretty easy to learn to snorkel, but I'm way too claustrophobic to go diving. The thought of being underwater that long just doesn't do it for me! Do the cruises have narration to tell you all about the Great Barrier Reef?

7. Ruby

Ruby Guest

take a glass-bottom boat tour

hey Wanderer, most, if not all, sightseeing cruises of the GBR offer onboard narrations that teach cool facts about the GBR. Saying this, i would suggest doing a full day tour that includes snorkeling or diving trips to really appreciate and have time to enjoy the reef up close. Otherwise, if you want to see the reef without strapping on a snorkel, best you take a glass-bottom boat tour;)