Gulf Coast Beaches in September

Discussion in 'Beaches' started by mitraveler, Jul 9, 2013.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I have the reservations in place and the time off of work. I'll be heading down to the Gulf Coast in September (anchoring in Panama City Beach) and wanted to get your advice on the beach conditions around Labor Day. Do you think it will still be beach weather? I'm guessing it will still be hot.

Anyway, what's your favorite place to hit the beach in and around Panama City Beach? Is it worth it to make a road trip or should I stick to PCB?

2. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

AccuWeather has the temps in September in the 90's during the day and low 70's in the evening so there will be plenty of sunshine on your vacation. PCB is beautiful. It would be hard to find a beach on the Gulf Coast that isn't sunny. My favorite beach up that way is Destin about an hour's drive from PCB.

3. yummyfood-ole

yummyfood-ole New Member

I always head with my family to the Gulf Coast in September to avoid the heat of the summer. The crowds aren't as big and the water is still hot enough that you know you are at the beach, but it's not so hot that you are pure miserable. September is the absolute best time to go to the Gulf Coast. Have fun!

4. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Excellent! I'm more excited now that I've read your responses. I'm not much for big crowds, so I'm glad we made our reservations for September. An hour sounds like a decent amount of time for a day trip. Any suggestions on what we should do?

5. RedBullCorp

RedBullCorp New Member

are you into surfing or kite-boarding? if so you can do great surfing and snorkeling in an area called "the jetties" in St. Andrew's State Park (just 3 miles from PCB), which boasts excellent waters for snorkeling. If you enjoy jet skiing, head to Shell Island (near St. Andrew's State Park), which is only accessible only by boat. Are you planning to stay in a condo or hotel?

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Cool! Those all sound like fun. I'm kind of a weenie, so I might stick to snorkeling. My cousin is a certified diver, so she might want to take those suggestions on our trip. I haven't tried kite-boarding...is that something a beginner can handle? We decided to go with a condo because grandma is on a restricted diet and we need to cook. And we found a rate that was about as good as the Panama City Beach hotels. Yes I am crazy. I'm taking an old lady to Florida!

7. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Your grandma is going to love Florida! Ladies of a certain age can't resist the pristine beaches, warm/cool waters and fresh air. Sitting on Gulf Coast beaches is pure freedom. Just let her sit back and relax; the sunshine will do the rest. :)

8. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

OMG...we had a great time in Panama City. The beaches were just perfect, and it was still hot. I spent more timing swimming in the hotel's saltwater pool than the gulf, but I sure enjoyed the views. I'm back and totally in love with Panama. Thanks for the suggestions about everything. And I totally recommend a trip to Panama City in early September. It was busy, but not crowded. And it was still hot. Nice time to go!