Hard time planning train trip in U.S.

Discussion in 'Travel News' started by wanderer, Jul 9, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Any thoughts on why it is so hard to plan a trip on the train? It seems like trains travel so frequently and reliably in the U.S. and Asia. I looked at Amtrak's website and it would take me three days to get to 1/4 of the way across the country. I just wanted to see what you thought about it. Any advice?

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

There's probably a long, complicated answer, but it just hasn't been that important in America. There's highways and plenty of cars to go around. So the government hasn't really put the effort into expanding the rail network,and no private businesses have been able to make a go of it. It would be nice if trains ran well.

3. kerryCatonaz

kerryCatonaz New Member

You're not alone in saying this...most people I meet tell me how much they hate amtrak. Not only it''s unreliable but also expensive. Customer service sucks and most amtrak train are dirty. It's really a shame train transportation sucks so much in the states.

4. PR-GH

PR-GH New Member

With train travel you get to see a lot of the country but train travel in the US is a really bad idea unless you limit yourself to small areas. The main reason train travel isn't what it ought to be in the US is that the rail tracks are owned by the freight companies, so their trains get priority over passenger trains (which are few and far between)