Has consolidation been good?

Discussion in 'Flights' started by wanderer, Oct 30, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I used to be a Northwest flier, and now that's part of Delta. Then I started flying Air Tran to save some money, and now that's part of Southwest. I know it's an expensive business, but I am not sure that all these combinations and marriages have been good for consumers. What do you think?

2. eurostarr

eurostarr New Member

airline merging

Mergers are never a good thing for consumers...airlines used to be regulated to prevent them from merging, thus allowing the emergence of low-cost airliners. However, Im not surprised the slightest about the mergers you mentioned since that's the recent and on going recession have hit hard on everyone including airliners.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I forgot about regulation. What a confusing world the airliners operate in. You're right, Eurostarr, it's never good for consumers!

4. hehem

hehem New Member

United and Continental Airlines merger

tell me about mergers...the merger of Continental Airlines and United Airlines was the worst thing that could happen I think. I had flights booked on Continental but my reservations with them were canceled, and transferred to the United Airlines reservations without my consent.

If you have reservations on Continental, I would suggest you contact the airline to reconfirm because your reservations may now be with United.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That must have been really stressful to find out you had tickets for a whole new airline. Did the flight go okay?

6. hehem

hehem New Member

flying with United

I wasn't keen to fly with United because of the negative reviews i read about the airline, but thankfully the flight went okay and the flight attendants weren't as bad as i was anticipating..

7. trilogyof

trilogyof New Member

merging is never a good thing

talking about mergers, AMR and USAirways are rumored to be the next airline merging, even though United and Continental Airlines struggled to complete their merger. Not sure really why airlines can’t seem to resist the urge to merge. The United deal and the combination of Delta and Northwest has caused the lonely American Airlines to go from the biggest to third-biggest US carrier.

8. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

In this brave new world, it must be hard to be the one airline without a partner. It really puts them at a disadvantage to not have the big money behind them. But ti's not like that's all that great for the consumers. They never seem the pass the savings on to us.

9. myculture

myculture New Member

keep the airlines in check

couldn't agree more wanderer! when airlines or big companies merge, consumers and travelers usually lose out, and that isn't right. Every person has the right to fly cheaply and we need a public option to keep the airlines "honest" and prices reasonable. A government airlines would keep the airlines in check, just like the Post Office keeps Fedex and UPS in check. What do you think?

10. sonalifg

sonalifg New Member

airlines consolidating

I saw this coming ever since the economic depression started...United and Continental airlines, and the Delta-Northwest deal aren't going to be a good deal for us passengers. I can already see higher fares mainly because of high oil prices, which are forcing airlines to pass rising fuel costs on to us.

Fares isn't the only problem...the airlines merging are also planning to cut back in flights which is going to mean more crowded planes, and a heck of an even worse customer service at the airports. Best thing is to prepare folks because the ride is going to get only bumpier.

11. madrasgop

madrasgop New Member

consolidation means less congestion

Consolidation is meant to mean less congestion and fewer delays. However, mergers and companies partnering up are never a good thing for consumers so, we definitely don't benefit when airlines merge domestically. Though internationally, sometimes a merger can make international routes more competitive, with better prices.