Hiking in Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by jimmylilly, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jimmylilly

jimmylilly New Member

we are looking for an experience and not just a destination in Northern Ireland to spend a hiking trip. I'm hearing good things about the Mournes..anyone been hiking there? what trails would you recommend are best?

2. Danny

Danny Moderator

The Mourne Mountain range is absolutely stunning! I had the chance to explore with a few friends early last year while visiting family in Northern Ireland. Honestly, if you interested in the natural environment, wonderful scenery and built heritage, you will love the area.

One of the most popular walking trails is to the top of Slieve Donard, which is the highest peak. Other popular route is the trail known as the Smugglers' trail which begins at the coast and goes through the mountains passing the Ben Crom reservoir and crossing through the Hares Gap.

If you prefer a lowland ramble then the Murlough Nature Reserve and Dundrum Bay trail offers gentle terrain and plenty of opportunity to do some bird watching.

3. anuraglidl

anuraglidl New Member

I would recommend the Antrim coast in Northern Ireland for hiking. These are very beautiful with some of the best scenery of country. There are many places in the region fro where you can begin your hiking tour like Ballintoy village, Glenariff Forest Park and some more.

4. ashlyn

ashlyn New Member

I agree with you Danny... "Mourne Mountain" range is absolutely stunning, If you are traveling up the Antrim Coast the Antrim Hills Way, Causeway Coast Way and Moyle Way are all in that area.

Jimmy, do not avoid the Mournes you will have the best hiking experience.