Historic facts about Chichen Itza

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by wanderer, Aug 14, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Interesting facts about Chichen Itza--you might know these pyramids on the Western coast of Mexico, but I bet you don't know these fun facts:

Chichen Itza has a name from the meaning "From the mouth at the well Itza."

The monuments were built over a series of years, perhaps as long as 1,000 years.

The most famous structures are El Castillo, the stair-stepped temple; El Caracol, a circular observatory; and the Temple of the Warriors.

If you want to know know more about these ruins, the daily tours are an excellent way to get to the know the site. A guide can fill you on on the history and story of this singular place. The on-site hotels have guided tours as part of their amenities.

2. pou723

pou723 New Member

Chichen Itza quick facts

Other facts worth mentioning about Chichen Itza is that it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and that it is the second-most visited of Mexico's archaeological sites. In 2007, Chichen Itza's El Castillo was also named one of the New Seven Wonders of the World after a worldwide vote.

3. d360

d360 Administrator

Chichen Itza Facts

There's a hotel "5 minute walk" to Chichen Itza called Hacienda Chichen if your looking for a place to stay.

4. kolaterpo

kolaterpo New Member

visiting Chichen Itza from Cancun

if anyone is wondering about doing the Chichen Itza ruins alone it's more than okay! I've done these ruins with a few friends when we stayed in Cancun. Chichen Itza is on the main highway between Mérida and Cancun, though be sure to take the "libre' road that runs parallel to the toll highway to get a better feel for the area.

We rented a car to get to the ruins, but there is also the ADO bus service from Cancun which I think costs about $30 round-trip but it takes over 2.5 hours.