How safe is it to drive around Jamaica?

Discussion in 'Jamaica' started by supasupa, Aug 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. supasupa

supasupa New Member

It depends. If you're coming from the US or UK, I would advise that you stay away from renting a car. Driving in Jamaica is not for the faint of heart unless you have been to Europe before and experience the insane driving there. The driving in Jamaica will feel uneasy, especially since roads aren't paved like you will be accustomed to. Best you choose another method of transportation to explore the island.

2. Lazarus1

Lazarus1 New Member

I don't get it why some people need to know how safe is to drive wherever they go. 9 times out of 10, those people come from places far worse but they dont seem to notice it (lol). I have been to Jamaica many times and never bother with driving. Yes, the roads aren't paved but that's part of the charm of traveling to Jamaica.

3. eurostarr

eurostarr New Member

if you do rent, do hire a SUV or jeep because the potholes there can be mammoth, especially when you go 'off the beaten path'. Like the last poster advised...I would too leave the driving to a Jamaican. Hire a taxi guy for the day and venture out. It's safer and more enjoyable.