How to get Michigan drive license?

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by Gala M., Aug 30, 2008.

1. Gala M.

Gala M. New Member

Hello to everyone! I need your help on one question.
    I'm an international student from Russia (F1-status), and I want to get Michigan drive license!... I already have internationnal drive license and my home drive license... but I heard that for foreigners it is not allowed to drive in Michigan. Is that true or I just misunderstood something?

Thanks.

2. girin

girin New Member

Yes, international driver’s licenses are not valid in Michigan, but the State of Michigan will allow you to drive for 6 months (from your date of arrival) using your national license accompanied by an English translation. Then if you want to convert a license, you must take the full written and road test plus the eye test. Normaly to obtain a Michigan driver's license, everyone must pass a written test, a road sign test, a vision test, and a driving test. And a driver license can be obtained via online, so apply online & get it.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

The Michigan Secretary of State office takes care of licences. We don't have a DMV here in Michigan. They have offices in most of the major cities and a website Michigan.gov that has lots of information.