How to sleep on a long flight

Discussion in 'Flights' started by wanderer, Aug 22, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Seasoned travelers: Any advice for getting some sleep? In looking at the schedule for some of the trips I want to take, I'm going to need to sleep on the plane. How do you get a good sleep while squeezed into an upright seat? I don't want to take any sedatives. I'm think something more healthy. Thanks for your answers!

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Take your headphones and listen to music. Some of the planes have XM radio, or you could bring your own MP3 player. It helps to have something to drown out the noise. I also take one of those neck pillows with me. They look silly, but they sure make sleeping on a flight more comfortable.

3. lucisboat

lucisboat New Member

tips for getting sleep a good sleep on a plane

if you're a light sleeper I suggest taking sleeping tablets an hour or so before the flights. Also, you want to buy a couple of ear plugs to keep the noise (and annoying passengers) down as much as possible. Be sure to also be wrapped up to be as warm as possible. It gets fairly chilly on a plane and that alone makes you not be able to get a good sleep.

4. leo360

leo360 New Member

The best thing I can suggest is getting some good rest before you even travel. I never rely on getting a good sleep on a flight, let alone on a long-haul flight. At best, you will get cat naps but no way you will get a good 6-7 hours straight on a long flight. best you can do...as soon as your eyes start to droop, get out the eye covers and earplugs, and go with it!

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Hello y'all! Thanks for your good advice. It's always a good idea to get a good night's sleep and ear plugs are your friend. Any other advice for staying comfortable on flights?

6. betty30

betty30 New Member

The best way to sleep in flight is to listen to light music while closing your eyes. And, do not sleep before taking off on your flight.