How to use Skype when traveling abroad

Discussion in 'Vacations' started by mitraveler, Mar 18, 2012.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Is it hard to use Skype when traveling abroad? It seems like it would save some money and trouble with bringing along my American cell phone. Any advice?

2. Photofun

Photofun New Member

using Skype overseas

Skype is great because if your call another skype user it is free. However, if you call a landline or cell phone it is not. Also, in some parts of the world such as Asia WiFi can be hard to get which is the drawback of Skype i guess!

3. remeriof

remeriof New Member

i love Skype

that's not necessarily true photofun...WiFi may be hard to get and many hotels won't have Wi-Fi, but they will have ethernet sockets. For instance, if you have an apple phone all you gotta do is bring an Airport Express base station and create a wireless network in your room. Then, you'll be able to use Skype on Wi-Fi via the network you created, simples!

4. JohnConstantine

JohnConstantine New Member

Skype is great abroad

Skype is great..even if you dont have a computer as long as you have a mobile phone that allows Skype applications you can use it. However, there was a small fee for the Skype phone number and credit to make “Skype to Phone†calls, but it was extremely reasonable compared to international calling cards or direct dial.

5. GiftWrapper33

GiftWrapper33 New Member

Skype's unlimited plan

if you travel abroad a lot, i would suggest signing up for the $2.99/mo Skype's unlimited plan because it will allow you to call landlines and mobiles in the US and Canada and keep in contact with friends and family for next to nothing.

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Good advice here! I'd say make sure you are not running off the cellular network so you don't have any weird charges.

7. AvaC

AvaC New Member

NO Skype is not to hard to use abroad only thing you need in internet. And in Europe there are a lot of hot spots and internet networks you can use for free.