Human rights museum coming to Winnipeg

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wanderer, Jan 26, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Canada has a system of national museums, and the newest one is coming to Winnipeg. The Canadian Museum for Human Rights is located at the Forks, the tourism hotspot at the junction of the Red and Assiniboine rivers. It's the first national museum since 1967 and the first outside the Ottawa region. The museum should be open in the next few years. They were shooting for 2012, but you know how things go.

2. Hjkop

Hjkop New Member

Is it being opened then? Last I heard was that the people in charge for building the Canadian Museum for Human Rights threw in the towel. Apparently, they had construction delays because of cost overruns and funding roadblocks so they aborted the whole thing, which is very typical of burocrats!

3. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

Canadian Museum for Human Rights

Wanderer, do you know when the museum is opening?

I too thought they stopped constructing the human rights museum in Winnipeg. In fact, I heard the government wanted to sell the museum to a group of private investors who wanted to turn the museum into a world-class water park. It's really a pity that they keep delaying the fate of the museum when they have already spent on it more than $100 million (tax-payer money) so far.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Hello! The news I read the other day said it would be spring 2014, but they had wanted it done by the end of 2012. I didn't know there was such a big mess going on. Thanks for letting me know about it. I did find this article from the CBC explaining what's going on. I had no idea this was such an interesting story!