im going to the kentucky derby

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by donaldsons, May 5, 2011.

1. donaldsons

donaldsons New Member

im going to the kentucky derby with the wife this Saturday, and we are making a weekend of it, so we'll be going to a bourbon distillery on Friday and then on to the derby on Saturday.

We've never been to derby, never been to Louisville other than passing through on the interstate. We just have general admission tickets, and booked a hotel outside of Louisville.

Im also wondering about parking and the other questions that a stranger to a town during a major event has?

2. Ruby

Ruby Guest

I have heard that the infield at the Kentucky Derby can get pretty crazy, and I've also seen on tv how people dress up with tuxedos and big hats for the mrs.

So my advice would be to look smart (ie, properly dressed), watch the horses and act as though you know what's going on.

Also, parking will be crazy on Derby Day so most people park at the fairgrounds and either walk or shuttle over.

By the way, general admission doesn't get you a seat so wear comfortable shoes and if you get a bench, seat guard it!