Interesting facts about Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by wanderer, Jun 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Alaska is twice the size of Texas!
    It's home to about half of the world's glaciers.
    Russia is just 55 miles away from the border.
    It has a coastline along three oceans: The Pacific, Bering, and Arctic.

Any more?

2. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Its nickname is the Truth North State
    Alaska was the 49th state to join the United States
    Dog mushing is the state sport
    The moose is the state animal

3. helinaJ3

helinaJ3 New Member

cool facts about Alaska

cool facts guys..here it;s three more to add to the list:

1.More than half the world's active glaciers are in Alaska
    2.Anchorage is as big as the state of Delaware
    3.Alaska is as bigger than western Europe

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I had no idea about any of those last three facts, Helina. That is really amazing to think about!

5. derionlion

derionlion New Member

Russia used to own Alaska?

really? I didn't know that Alaska was bought off by america from the Russians. Wow, I too think the Russians made a bit mistake selling Alaska. there is lots of mining for gold and diamonds to be done there, never mind that Alaska is being used now as a missile defense base...and it's an strategic point against Russia as of late.

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I don't think that would happen in today's world. Oil was not as precious of a resource as it is now. So many people were worried about the purchase, they dubbed it "Seward's Folly." Seward was the secretary of state who orchestrated the purchase.

7. breet

breet New Member

t is situated in the northwest extremity of the North American continent, with Canada to the east.The name "Alaska" was already introduced in the Russian colonial period.Alaska is the largest state in the United States .

8. travelabroad

travelabroad New Member

Just wondering, I know Alaska is a wonderful place to travel and I love polar bears. Are there any of these lovely creatures in Alaska?

9. victorbritts

victorbritts New Member

There are lots of lovely creatures in Alaska. You can see there Brown Bear, Little Brown Bat, Short-Tailed Weasel, Red Fox... All these animals are found in Alaska.. You will definitely enjoy there.