is Costa Rica dangerous?

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by eklectiz, Oct 15, 2010.

1. eklectiz

eklectiz New Member

I hear Costa Rica is a nice place but is it a safe country to be in? where to go? would u recommend booking in advance? any tips are appreciated?

2. Danny

Danny Moderator

Statistically speaking, Costa Rica is a safe country but some beaches have a reputation for crime. Costa Rica is definitely a nice place but like anywhere it all depends where you go. You'll meet plenty of other foreign travelers and backpackers around Costa Rica so, as long as you stay in the tourist trail you'd be fine.

Don't spend too much time in San Jose and go straight to the beaches and Arenal volcano that'd be other tip. Also, be in the know that Costa Rica is also expensive so if you're travelling on a relatively low budget, you'd want to make reservations in advance.

3. LisaValencia

LisaValencia New Member

I have lived in Costa Rica for over three years, a woman alone. In the beginning I had some things stolen. I've learned from experience and never have any problems any more. Costa Rica is probably the safest country in Central America, but of course it depends on what part of the country you are talking about, too. As with most places, the city can be more dangerous than small towns. Ultimately it all comes down to common sense and using your head.