Is it safe to go to Cozumel?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by wanderer, Feb 26, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

What would you say? Is it safe to go to Cozumel? I know there are plenty of places in Mexico that average tourists would want to avoid. I'm guessing that Cozumel is probably okay since it's home to some of the big resorts. Cozumel sure is lovely.

2. Bottlelittle

Bottlelittle New Member

Is it safe to go to Cozumel? yes it is!

many of the violent activities by the cartel are localized in several different places and not across the north of Mexico, let alone the entire country. I think the travel alert issued for Cozumel is blown out of proportion. I would not hesitate to go to Cozumel today, tomorrow or next week. Get out and enjoy the island.

3. Dontknow

Dontknow New Member

drug wars mexico

I agree partially with the last poster, though the truth of it is that the drug wars are spreading thick and fast through mexico and affecting tourist spots frequented by Americans. Can cun is one of them...why do you think MTV spring break is hosted in Las Vegas this year?

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

So it's most likely safe, but you never know? It's scary to see how much the violence is spreading. My coworker just got back from Cancun and said she felt pretty safe. But Mexico travel safety is always a concern. It makes sense to stick to the tourist areas and being careful is always important.