Is it safe to go to Syria now?

Discussion in 'Syria' started by wanderer, Nov 28, 2011.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I'm hearing a lot about Syria on the news. What would you recommend for tours right now? Should we wait or is wise to go now?

2. noHope8

noHope8 New Member

not safe to go to Syria now

I am in Damascus now and there are many demonstrations at the suburbs but people go to work and people are going about their business as usual. I don;t think it would be safe for tourists because of the protests and because your travel insurance will not be valid unless your country has lifted its travel advisory.

3. bonitaFlorida2

bonitaFlorida2 New Member

don't trust media propaganda

I've been in Syria and just came back two months ago. I advise you to stay in Damascus and/or Aleppo in case you decide to go. Some cities are witnessing some clashes between government police and demonstrators, but it's nothing like CNN or Fox news would have you believed.

Most of Syria is still safe, don't just believe the propaganda media which always portrays things as chaos no matter what. If you stick to tourist areas you should be all right, stay away from any protests.

4. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

NoHope, how are you doing now? I hope you're safe.

5. noHope8

noHope8 New Member

safe and sound in Syria now

hey mitraveler..yes sure im safe here in Damascus..if you want to know, the president of Syria made a speech to the Syrian people talking about "outsiders" starting trouble in the country. I think they're trying to do the same like they did in Libya...not sure, did the media there broadcasted this?

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Glad you are safe. We did hear about the speech...that led the news both on TV and the radio in the States.

7. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Sorry to hear that things have been going so badly. You're still in my thoughts. Hope you're safe.