is Naples crime ridden?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Xmas2010, Jan 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Xmas2010

Xmas2010 New Member

People seem to opt for popular choices like Rome, Florence and Venice. I don't hear anything good about Naples though..some poster even said that Naples is infested with trash and Mafia gangs..is that really the picture of Naples?

2. Danny

Danny Moderator

I wouldn't say that Naples is riddle with crime. They had problems with the Mafia but that's all been sorted. I think the main reason peole come some hard on Naples is because Naples isn't generally thought of as a tourist destination.

In fact, I even heard someone describe Naples as "the arm pit of Italy. The thing with Naples is that it doesn't have the tourist and cultural benefits of other Italian larger cities like Venice.

Either way, you'll find a rewarding travel experience in Naples so don't be put off by this over the top remarks about Naples!

3. packngo3

packngo3 New Member

In response to the issue of how safe is Naples, the people are known for being quite friendly on the whole. Also, the local police put a focus on keeping the main tourist areas safe. Pickpockets are the biggest things to worry about in the long run, and there is a decent amount of petty crime in general. Minding your belongings at all times is the way to go, as it would be in most any country/city really.