It's a new season

Discussion in 'Ski Areas' started by mitraveler, Nov 20, 2012.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

So who's already been skiing this winter? Where are looking into going this year? It was a weird winter last year with very little snow in the American Midwest and so much snow in Europe and the California Cascades. What do you think the skiing conditions will be like this year?

2. Sofardist

Sofardist New Member

skiing conditions

tell me about it! weather is getting more unpredictable every year everywhere. Snow is not falling in some parts as it used and it's affecting the skiing season, which in turn affects a lot of businesses that depend on the snow. Switzerland was a prime a example of this...One minute they have lack of snow, the next they're getting too much of it.

3. superiorNoice

superiorNoice New Member

skiing in the midwest

I have been to Deer Valley Wyoming, Park City and Deer Valley in Utah. I try to pick a new ski destination each year so Im looking at skiing in Ketchum and Sun Valley. I love skiing in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado. For me, these states are the best places to go skiing in the US, though I hear Vermont and Whistler are great too. Either way, best to ski in January If you plan to Utah, Idaho, etc..

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Superior---sounds like you've been skiing at some great places. And Sofardist...you're totally right.

My little ski area in Michigan was open this weekend even though we only had a dusting of snow. I can't imagine it was fun, but the lights were on last night. :)

5. Noiukp

Noiukp New Member

snow falling on both side of the atlantic

By what I heard, the Western Hemisphere and Europe wont be experiencing any lack of snow this winter ski season. In fact, in some parts like in the Austrian Apls and the Rocky Mountain resorts have been snowing since late August. Hopefully, the snow will keep falling for the winter ahead and it will be better than last season's!

6. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

That's amazing to think about snow since August. I'm sure a lot of those places will have more than a great base of snow. That's the thing about winter, they're never the same from one year to the next.

7. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Vacationers heading south for the winter can still enjoy skiing on one of eight slopes, snowboarding, snow tubing, and indoor ice skating at the mega ski resort, Ober Gatlinburg in Tennessee. According to their snow info, they have both new and machine made snow with a base of 11 inches to 14 inches to keep folks busy. Temp is 26 degrees, so bundle up and enjoy the ride!