It's almost Carnival Time

Discussion in 'Vacations' started by wanderer, Jan 18, 2012.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I'd love to hear your thoughts/stories about Mardi Gras/Carnival. Who has experienced the early-year revelry for these celebrations? Of course the biggest and most famous event is Carnival in Brazil , but other places celebrate the holiday. I'd love to hear about your experiences!

2. awsomee

awsomee New Member

Mardi Gras and Carnival = ?

I read that Mardi Gras and Carnival were both initiated by French medieval customs, though I don't see the connection to France since the french are very conservative....I mean, if you look at carnival and Mardi Gras what are they really portraying? to be honest, it seems more like an excuse to get people semi-naked (mostly women) flashing the "you know what". Am i the only one thing like this?

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

:) I think the naked partying came later. Mardi Gras did start out in Europe as kind of the last-ditch partying before Lent, the very solemn Christian observance. The medieval people gave up a lot during Lent, so they would do their indulgent things the day before. That's why it's big in places heavily influenced by the French, Spanish and Portuguese settlers like New Orleans and Brazil.

4. somanyskp

somanyskp New Member

where to Carnival?

Mardi Gras/Carnival isn;t just big in the States and Brazil....there is a Carnival tradition in all of Spain, some places are more famous for the parades than others. The most popular carnival destinations are Tenerife and Cadiz.

5. awsomee

awsomee New Member

Oh ok, thanks for the explanation wanderer:) in that case I guess it does make sense..you have to let lose eventually;)