Jellyfish attack Mediterranean beaches

Discussion in 'Beaches' started by wanderer, Jun 4, 2013.

1. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

Watch out! Some of the best beaches in the world are being overrun by jellyfish this summer. Now, I've been stung by one (when I was in at the beach in Colombia) and I can tell you first-hand it hurts! Beaches in France, Israel, Matla, and Sardinia are just packed with jellyfish, so you might want to check beach conditions before you plan to hit the water. And don't get stung!

2. GereIam

GereIam New Member

LOL, what's wrong with jelly fish? it's their time of season! I remember years back reading this same headline on an english newspaper saying "Spain warns of summer jellyfish invasion on Mediterranean beaches". I think the word "invasion" used in the headline is over the top and sensationalist!

3. locknessmonst

locknessmonst New Member

there seems to be lots of horror stories regarding jellyfish attacks, but most jellyfish are fairly harmless to swimmers. If you are really concerned about them, just wear heavy duty sunscreen and you wont notice being stung.

4. Wanderled

Wanderled New Member

If you get stung, rubbing sand over the affected area should clear it right up! I've also heard that rinsing the area with vinegar or urine helps, although I've never tried the latter.

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Even the best athletes give in to jellyfish stings. Chloe McCardel from Australia was making her bid to swim, non-stop from Havana to the Florida Keys. She lasted 11 hours before receiving multiple stings on her arms, legs and back causing severe pain that resulted in ending her individual competition.

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

I think the amount that the sting hurts depends on the jellyfish and how often you're stung. In Chole's case, it was the multiple stings. Some of the little jellies don't hurt that much, but some of the giant ones can be deadly. It's just another thing to look out for when you're visiting the Spain beaches or what have you.