Kentucky Derby travel tips

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by Vicolette, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

The Kentucky Derby is coming up in just a few days and I've no doubt there are some last minute travelers. Any tips out there from racing enthusiasts for last minute travelers on some out of the way places to stay, camp, or park an RV while enjoying the bluegrass of Kentucky?

2. Photofun

Photofun New Member

My tip for ladies is not to wear heels because the infield is mostly uneven grass and mud so you won't be able to walk properly. Best you wear cowboy boots or rain boots with a standard dress (or jeans) and a hat...trust me, most people will be wearing that.

3. SimpleMinds

SimpleMinds New Member

This is true. You'll see all kinds of weird outfits at the Derby like dresses, hats and suits but wearing comfortable shoes is the way to go. Basically, you can dress up just about anything going to the Derby, it is all depend on what section you are sitting (bleacher seats, etc)

4. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I would recommend taking the shuttle. It saves you the hassle of parking at Churchill Downs and takes you right to the gate. This year, the shuttle depot is right in front of Gate 1. The shuttle takes you to extra parking at the Papa John's Stadium, state fair, and downtown parking sites.