Las Vegas welcomes medical tourists

Discussion in 'Other Las Vegas Topics' started by mitraveler, Nov 28, 2011.

1. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

Las Vegas is the first city in the US to publish a guide about medical tourism. People have been leaving the U.S. for places like India and Mexico to get cheaper care. Las Vegas would like people to know about its cosmetic surgeons and medical doctors. In case you're curious, the guide is available at this link.

What do you think?

2. stillbslling

stillbslling New Member

Las Vegas medical tourism

I know Las Vegas continually wants to evolve to ensure it remains the leading tourism destination in the world, but Las Vegas thinking it should be a medical tourism capital? I don't think so...me, I'll go somwhere in the Midwest where hospitals, doctors, dentists and orthodontists charge less than the rip off prices in Las Vegas.

3. lobalsdf

lobalsdf New Member

Las Vegas, really?

Why travel to Vegas, when you can get quality medical care in Costa Rica or India at 50%-80% less cost? Thailand has US-trained docs that offer heart bypass operations for $50,000-airfare included.

4. morningdatr

morningdatr New Member

Vegas is a tourist town for gamblers!

I think Las Vegas won't become a mecca for medical treatment, not even in a million years. Who in the right mind would go to Las Vegas for medical treatment? If it was me, I'd head for California or Arizona in a heartbeat...btw the charges for medical services in Las Vegas are as high as if not higher than anywhere else in the country.

5. metropolitanPOL

metropolitanPOL New Member

medical tourism

I would suggest eastern Europe (i.e. Poland, Hungary, Czech republic, etc) as medical services prices in central and eastern european countries are up to 50-80 % lower than for instance in UK or USA. Saying this, I do hear many people also go to the philippines because they have many doctors trained in the USA.

6. talesofthe

talesofthe New Member

Las Vegas for medical tourism

I find the choice of Las Vegas for medical tourism to be a weird one. I am sure Las Vegas has some decent medical facilities but wasn't there a recent scandal involving several of Vegas’s hospitals being named as some of the worst in the nation?

7. willbeP

willbeP New Member

Las Vegas hospital scandal

yeah I remember that scandal you;re talking about, Las Vegas Sun did a whole series on the state of health care in the city. Do No Harm: State of Hospitals in Las Vegas. Saying this, this scandal wasn't recent..It was a couple years ago, still you're right in pointing that out

8. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

I'm not sure I'm okay with the idea of medical tourism. That seems like something to do close to home.

9. kalpana_seo

kalpana_seo New Member

[I know Las Vegas continually wants to evolve to ensure it remains the leading tourism destination in the world, but Las Vegas thinking it should be a medical tourism capital? Im not sure either!