latest on hurricane sandy

Discussion in 'New York' started by NapoleonBona, Nov 1, 2012.

1. NapoleonBona

NapoleonBona New Member

Hello, im planning to be in NYC from 8-13 Nov in a midtown Manhattan. The reason to travel there is to see family but the hurricane is hit now...anyone has the latest on hurricane sandy? should i postpone my trip?Any advice gratefully received!

2. Jenna

Jenna Moderator

i'd pospone the trip if you can. it's gonna take more than 2-3 weeks for things to go back to normal. Right now, more than half of the gas stations in NYC and even neighboring New Jersey are closed due to power outages and fuel shortages. Honestly, it's chaotic now and getting around will be an issue since trains are not running as normal.

3. YrLiveTV

YrLiveTV New Member

this is true..In Manhattan, the trains are only running north of 34th Street because they are unable to travel through the flooded tunnels in downtown Manhattan and Brooklyn. Even worse, stoplights stopped working and i dont think they have them working yet. It seems the City is being hit very hard this time around and it's gonna take while for things to get back to normal. Also, it looks like they may postpone the elections too..

4. YrLiveTV

YrLiveTV New Member

Apocalypse in NY

sandy hit hard, allright...did you guys see the burned-out homes in the Breezy Point section of Queens? The place was burning down as floods were inundating the place. Now it looks like a bomb was dropped or something...never seen entire neighborhoods underwater like that neither.

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

It's been so sad to see what's going on and my heart goes out to those involved. It is going to be a mess for a long time and summer is going to be changed forever with all those torn up vacation homes, destroyed boardwalks, and etc.

I would think that Manhattan will bounce back quicker than other places. Napoleon, can you decide last minute about the trip? It might be hard to tell what's going on this far in advance.

6. NapoleonBona

NapoleonBona New Member

thanks for the replies. I have been hearing also on news situation is no very good. I was hoping it wasn't going to be so bad in Manhattan cos I really wanted to visit it. I think I will have to postpone because most flight services into NYC are running very slowy anyways. Even Teterboro Airport, where I was meant to be landing has been hit, though it has reopened now.

7. dinohadzic

dinohadzic New Member

the city is moving past sandy

Most of Manhattan and the MTA is back to normal, though parts of NYc's boroughs are still struggling such as Staten Island and Long Island but as far as I know they all have electricity and water is running. In fact, most of NYC tourism is gearing up for the holidays but I don't think the people of New York are going to forget hurricane Sandy in a hurry!