Louisiana's Famous Plantations

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by bmd, Sep 17, 2011.

1. bmd

bmd Guest

Louisiana plantations are spread over the entire state, and they are among some of the most interesting, historically and aesthetically. Fans of the movie, Interview with a Vampire, will be happy to learn that Destrehan Plantation was the location where they filmed many scenes for the movie. Stepping back in time, Houmas House featured scenes from the movie, Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte with Bette Davis; here, too, tour guides dress the part in antebellum dresses. Though the main building was destroyed in a fire in 2004, Laura Plantation is one of the most historically interesting for it's Creole background, many slave quarters left standing, and the beautiful stories that originated here, including the Tales of Uncle Remus, starring Br'er Rabbit. The fabulously beautiful line of live oaks lining the drive up to the Oak Alley Plantation main house is probably the most spectacular part of this estate; Oak Alley is also said to house a ghost in one of the rooms, where photos are discouraged...sensitive spirit? There are tons of Louisiana plantations, and definitely, at least one should be part of any tour of this beautiful state.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2011
  2. felipeL

felipeL New Member

Oak Alley Plantation

I visited the Oak Alley Plantation and I must admit I was quite impressed with the grounds were beautifully moss covered oaks. The tour of the grounds and the house was fun and informative. Saying this, before or after the tour, be sure to walk around the property or sit under the oaks. It's such a majestic place. There is a gift shop and restaurant on property but to eat there is rather pricey.

3. AliCat

AliCat New Member

Plantations in Lousiana

I've visited Houmas House, between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, and highly recommend it. The grounds are beautiful, and the tour guides were very knowledgeable and a lot of fun to listen to. I was there in July, which is quite hot, but the flowers were so wonderful that it was well worth it, and once you're out under the live oaks, it's very shady.

Oak Alley is a good choice as well, and if you really want to get an idea of the scale of these places, visit the Nottoway Plantation. Nottoway is the largest antebellum mansion in the state, with something like 53,000 square feet of living space.

4. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

There are some amazing houses in Louisiana's plantation country. I've always liked Oak Alley and its gracious atmosphere.

Do any of these plantations give ghost tours?

5. felipeL

felipeL New Member

Louisiana's haunted plantations

hey mitraveler, Oak Alley Plantation is supposedly haunted. I never got to see any ghosts but many people claim seeing the figure of a woman in an old fashioned black dress inside the house, and also on the upper porch. There have also been sightings of a man in boots walking around the kitchen. One thing I would say though is that many of the pictures I took inside the house came out blurry when I downloaded them to my computer, but they did not look blurry on my camera's display..weird, isn't it?!

6. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That is so cool! I love hearing ghost stories. There's a lot about this world that we just don't know, eh?