Mardi Gras in Mobile 2014

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by Vicolette, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

A little history about Mardi Gras has Mobile as the first city to host the celebration in 1703; before New Orleans came on the scene. This year, the event runs February 14 through March 4 so you have over two weeks to enjoy the festivities. Expect a party atmosphere in Mobile with floats, parades, costumes, masks, doubloons and the much sought after beads.

2. RobertKelly

RobertKelly New Member

Which city has the best Mardi Gras

Cool, I always thought it started out in New Orleans, though NOLA has the best Mardi Gras in my opinion because Mobile's one is smaller and so are the parades. New Orleans celebrations really thrown in everything with even nighttime parades such as the Krewe of Bacchus.

3. kidloco

kidloco New Member

No doubt New Orleans has the biggest Mardi Gras in America..I think over 3 million-plus people visit the city during the celebration. I myself think too that New Orlean's Mardi Grass is the best because Krewes are also more elaborate and expensive than any others.

4. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

NOLA Mardi Gras is definitely an experience and one you don't forget. I enjoyed every minute of it. Here in Tampa, we have the annual Gasparilla Pirate Invasion going on since 1904. Same party-hearty atmosphere and thousands of folks screaming for beads!