Mardi Gras New Orleans Style

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Vicolette, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

Is any one making their way to New Orleans this year for Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday on February 21? I've been once and there is nothing quite like the excitement, costumes, floats, beads and the energy of the celebration. What's your favorite part of the celebration? I love the holiday in New Orleans; one of the most fun destinations for Mardi Gras.

2. dizzcover

dizzcover New Member

gotta go to Mardi Gras

It's been many years since I have been to Mardi Gras but I remember it to be fun (New Orleans is ALWAYS fun). As far as my favorite part of the celebration, in my opinion you can't say you've been to "Mardi Gras" unless you have experienced at least two of the last four days including and ending with Fat Tuesday.

3. FlunkOP

FlunkOP New Member

Mardi Gras question?

hey guys, I'll be heading to NO for the mardi gras celebration and it will be my first time...what parades or events I should not be missed? Also, is renting a car a good idea?

4. salitaVS

salitaVS New Member

book hotel now for Mardi Gras

Many roads are normally blocked during the celebration so renting a car there isn't what I would recommend. I would suggest booking now for a hotel nearby so you don;t have to travel far. If you are really into Mardi Gras you can try to get a place in the Quarter but they're probably fully booked now. Oh, be sure to taste them alien drinks at a place called the Cats Meow...I thought it was well worth it:)

5. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

I agree. Get as close to the quarter as possible. Forget the car. Many streets are blocked off and negotiating crowds and traffic takes away from the fun of the party. Use the pedicabs to get around, if you need to. As far as what to see and do, my advice, just go with the flow and you'll have one of the best times imaginable.

6. krainey

krainey New Member

Mardi Gras New Orleans Pictures

Vicolette, sounds like good advice to me! I think the Mardi Gras parties in New Orleans are totally worth attending, crowds and all. We put up some Mardi Gras pictures and information about the event's history, traditions, etc. in one of our guides, too, for anyone who wants to learn more about. Excited for the 2012 festivities coming up soon!