Maricopa County Fair

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Vicolette, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Vicolette

Vicolette Super Moderator

A fun outing to look forward to April 10 through the 14th is the Maricopa County Fair held at the Arizona at Exposition & State Fairground. Lots of fun for everyone with rides, live music on four stages, livestock exhibits, games and plenty of good food at this annual Phoenix festival. Gates open at 10am with free admission Wednesday through Friday from 10am until 3pm.

2. derier22

derier22 New Member

I love going to this fair with family. If you're looking for a great time I suggest making a date for the Maricopa fair. There are lots of great family entertainment for FREE like magic shows, juggling, carnival rides, livestock shows, etc; as well as fair food like turkey legs, fry bread and corn dogs. Admission is less than the price of a movie..around $6.

3. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

That sounds like so much fun! I just love the fry bread you can get in Arizona. I know I had some really good freshly made fry bread at Tucson's San Xavier del Bac Mission.

4. Vicolette

I'm partial to anything fried! I love a good piece of fried cornbread, southern cracklin cornbread or pan fried flour bread but I'm not familiar with fry bread. Recipe, please. :)

5. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

You'll be glad to know that it's easy to make! Here's a recipe from the Manataka American Indian Council.

1 C flour

1 t baking powder

1/4 C powdered milk

1/4 t salt

warm water

Combine the ingredients and slowly add enough warm water to form dough. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until it is smooth soft and not sticky. Cover and let rest 1 hour. Shape into small balls and pat into flat circles about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Set aside.

In skillet, heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil. Brown dough circles on each side and drain on paper towels.

Serve with chile beans and your favorite taco toppings for "Navajo Tacos."

6. Vicolette

Thanks for the recipe! I can whip that up in no time flat. It is very similar to fried flour bread. I'll just have to make them both and do a comparison tasting. :)