Martin Luther King Memorial

Discussion in 'Washington DC' started by krainey, Aug 22, 2011.

1. krainey

krainey New Member

I heard about this on NPR this morning and thought it was worth sharing—the new Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial has opened in Washington DC. The official dedication isn't until August 28, which is the 48th anniversary of the March on Washington and Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech, but the memorial is open to see as of today.

The dedication will include a pre-dedication concert at 10 am, ceremony at 11 am, and post-dedication concert at 2 pm. Get details on the official Martin Luther King memorial website, and check out tips on other things to do in DC and Washington DC monuments in our Destination360 guide.

2. maleton

maleton New Member

DC's Martin Luther King Memorial

I have mixed emotions regarding Dr. Martin Luther King memorial that is about to be unveiled on August 28 in Washington, D.C. First of all, the memorial is huge (way too big)..I would've preferred to have a statue that resembled the real size of whom was a great man!

Next, the monumental statue was sculptured by Chinese sculptor Lei Yi Xin, and the face of Martin Luther King looks,to be honest, Chinese. In fact, the monument might be more appropriate for one of those terracota soldiers in A'xan. The statue also looks threatening rather than welcoming, which doesn't reflect the character of Dr. King who was a lovely man!

3. krainey

krainey New Member

Interesting comments about the memorial -- thanks, maleton! I didn't realize who the sculptor was; I'll have to check out some pictures of it.

Also wanted to add an FYI for anyone heading to DC soon. The official dedication of the memorial has be delayed because of the earthquake this week. The Friday and Saturday events will be held as usual, but the dedication will occur sometime in September or October. The info about the dedication day plans is available on the MLK memorial website.

4. mitraveler

mitraveler New Member

The date for the dedication has been settled on---it's October 16. President Obama is slated to be there. The plans are still in flux, but the date is firm. I'll post more when I find out more details.