mayan city found in north georgia

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by Kolper56, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Kolper56

Kolper56 New Member

I came across an article on examiner about some Mayan ruins found in Georgia..I was surprised to read the article and more surprised to learn that these ruins were found 2-3 years ago. Never heard anything about it. Apparently the ruins are over 1,000 years of age...Anyone knows or has been to the site?

2. VacationBuddy

VacationBuddy Administrator

These ruins were said to be found in North Georgia in Brasstown Bald mountain....I remember watching the story on America Unearthed on the History Channel about a year ago, but doesn't appear to be Mayan ruins but mounds. From watching the doc I wasn't really convinced of a direct Mayan connection. In fact, I don't think any scholars have come out to speak on this. Probably why most people haven't heard of it.

3. lappyHolmes

lappyHolmes New Member

if you are expecting Mayan pyramids you can forget it. what they discovered was rock piles terraces and somehow they think that makes an ancient Mayan site. I too haven't heard anything ever since and it's been like 2 years.

4. wanderer

wanderer Moderator

There are Indian mounds all around the Southeast...Scholars like to call the groups who built them the Mississipian People, but I don't think they're connected to the Mayans. But maybe they lived at the same time? In Cartersville, the Etowah Indian Mounds are pretty neat. If you want to travel in Alabama, I know there are a lot of great archaeology going on near Tuscaloosa.

5. FionaRichards

FionaRichards New Member

Still very interesting non the less that they made settlements up this far.